At Tokyo Game Show 2019, Spike Chunsoft has announced Katanakami, an action RPG spinoff of the Way of the Samurai series. It is being developed by Acquire and it is set to release on PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and PC via Steam in Early 2020 for Japan. The official website is here.
A trailer was shown at E3, showing an isometric style viewpoint as you take on a number of monsters and demons.
Find a summary of the Tokyo Game Show presentation below.
Tokyo Game Show Slides
- becomes a hack-and-slash title while still retaining the swordsmanship actions of Way of the Samurai
- dungeons are generated automatically so every playthrough will feel fresh
- can also do blacksmith business in Katanakami
- gather money to repay loans and rescue Dojima's daughter
Katanakami game cycle:
- Day: Blacksmith business, sell swords to gather money
- Night: Defeat demons in other worlds to gather swords & materials
- Protagonist will be voiced by Hidenori Takahashi
- Dojima Gunji voiced by Atsushi Imaruoka
- More familiar characters from WOTS will also appear
- Dojima's daughter is named Nanami, she's voiced by Yuuki Kuwahara.
- A cute girl totally unlike her father, she also wears glasses. She was taken away due to the loans and is about to be sold off to the entertainment district